22 July - A city flood emergency has been declared. Civil Defence news here:
Cashmere News Diary: 21 July 2017 - Summit Road stopping, bus & river work etc.
* 23 July, Sunday 2.30pm - Local Short Film showing - Aspie Help is putting on a fascinating and inspiring showing of a short film made by local young man, Michael Woods. The main video is 30 minutes long, produced, directed and acted in by Michael and is called "The Parcel". It tells the story of an event in his life, illuminating the experience of living with Aspergers. It is shot around Cashmere. Plus a premier of second short film. 2.30pm this Sunday with afternoon tea to follow. $10 admission for adults, and $5 for students. Cashmere Presbyterian Church, 2 Macmillan Ave. A governing board opening exists for Aspie Help, expressions of interest are invited.
* 4 August, Friday 9.30-10.30am - Quiet Space, Cashmere Presbyterian Church. Time to reflect and be recharged. Light a candle for a person or issue that you are concerned for.
* 4 August, Friday 5pm - consultation closes on "Summit Road Proposed prohibited times on road restrictions", ref.
ccc.govt.nz/the-council/consultations-and-submissions/haveyoursay/show/56 - Feedback is also invited to this News email, for guiding CRA's response to the plan. Traffic noise has always been a major concern for local residents and this looks like action on it, providing police powers of Summit Road temporary closure to recreational motoring.
* 16 August, Wednesday 7.30pm - next full Cashmere Residents' Association committee meeting, resident input invited - contact CRA by reply email.
* 17 October, Tuesday 7.30pm - CRA Annual General Meeting, provisional date.
Notices / updates
* If you have any local news to add, please send it in to CRA in reply.
* Cashmere Residents' Association notes its interest in a formal Park-and-Ride facility, to be made from the Princess Margaret Hospital surplus car parking area, for the benefit of both commuters and recreational cyclists into the future. It is reasonable for CRA to expect to be part of any such discussion amongst authorities. Similarly, good management of surface water and the Opawaho-Heathcote River must include local resident organisations.
* Question to Metro / regional council - when it has snowed on the hills, and motor vehicles are safely using the main roads here, why is it deemed unsafe for bus service to continue? Those dependent on the buses, youth and seniors, are being unnecessarily inconvenienced? -
* Preschool Music Group - Thursday mornings at Cashmere Presbyterian Church is a fun and learning space for all babies and preschoolers. 10am for a half-hour music and movement session, followed by morning tea. Gold coin donation. Come along to check it out! For more information phone 332 7129. Volunteers needed to help with holding babies and making coffee.
* Volunteers needed for Foot Clinic - If you like making people's day, come join the team at Foot Clinic. This is a special and much appreciated service provided by Cashmere Presbyterian Church every 6 weeks. No experience necessary, but nurses are particularly needed. For more information phone or pop in to the church office: 332 7129.
* Addington Net Board Recruitment - New voluntary board members are sought for Addington Net. This group tackles the Digital Divide by providing computing skills for free or low cost to the local community, and is based at 389 Barrington St. To find out about the role go to:
addington.net.nz/philosophy To find out more about Addington Net go to: addington.net.nz Those interested are welcome to contact chairperson Wendy Butcher: email@example.com or phone 329 6117 or 027 518 5217.
* Citizens Advice Bureau Christchurch Area - exists to give confidential and impartial free advice to anyone who asks for it. We have three Branches and two satellites in Christchurch, we run JP and Free Legal Clinics at two of the Branches and we can be contacted via the phone, web, in person or on the national chat line. Sometimes people that would benefit of our services might not know we exist. See www.cab.org.nz, notice:
* Predator-Free Port Hills, Cashmere project - thank you to the Summit Road Society and all residents who have volunteered help with pest trapping. Further inquiries welcome where pests are encountered, via firstname.lastname@example.org - To participate in the project, please register and "Request membership" on the Pest Trap NZ, Cashmere GIS page trap.nz/project/251462/info adding data: trap type, location, bait & catches etc. From listing effort and results, increased support will become available. More Predator-Free NZ project info is indexed as a Community Notice for Predator-Free Cashmere on
cashmere.org.nz home page, FYI.
* Hot-water cylinder / gas unit problems - a flood of reports are being logged this winter, invitation to share experience -
chchwater.wordpress.com holds all CRA's information on this widespread fault; feedback from residents anywhere in Christchurch, or from more engineers, is welcome for writing further blog posts that note every known way of resolving hot-water supply faults.
* Cashmere Hills Christchurch Community Business Network -
facebook.com/groups/1282415251857161 - new means to meet up and network!
* Cashmere Residents' Emergency Support Team - CREST - Cashmere Community Response Plan - see
cashmere.org.nz/CREST for digital copy. Enquiries via Cashmere Presbyterian, Cashmere School or Cashmere Residents' Association. Stay safe, ref. getthru.govt.nz
* A very big thank you to all Cashmere Residents and CREST community partners: Cashmere Primary School, Cashmere Presbyterian Church, Christchurch City Council Strengthening Communities, Canterbury Neighbourhood Support, Kidsfirst Cashmere Kindergarten, Cashmere Cuisine, Cup Cafe, Emperors New Clothes Cafe, Zeroes Cafe, Cashmere Super Dairy, Kaizuka Giftshop, Una Bakery, Quick Stop Liquor, Swanlake Lotus at Siam Healthcare Spa emergency spring-water source, Computer Help NZ, and to all our local volunteers and supporters - Thank you very much!
* Past CRA email Cashmere News is indexed near page-top here, FYI: www.cashmere.org.nz
* CRA Subscriptions 2016/17 - Association membership and renewals, at the household rate of $10 per year, can be made via our Kiwibank a/c
38.9005.0688810.02 - Donations help increase service and are very much appreciated. Please notify deposit by email, for confirmation by our Treasurer, and a receipt will be issued if requested: email@example.com. Or post to CRA Treasurer, c/o 112 Hackthorne Road, Christchurch 8022.
Thanks again for your support of CRA and its work. Stay warm, dry and safe this winter.
332-1069 / 027-406-0077
Chair pp CRA Committee
Cashmere Residents' Association (CRA)
Back to CRA link hub / home page